Kamperland (2009) 0010_DSC_0236The kitchen.0020_DSC_0239The living area, with ample comfortable seating for three people.0030_DSC_0240The bungalow came with a home cinema set. We supplied the music and movies.0040_DSC_0243Sunlight streams through the clouds near the Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier.0050_DSC_0244An asphalt-covered dyke protects a harbour (left) on the west side of the artificial island Neeltje Jans.0060_DSC_0267The middle part of the Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier (Oosterscheldekering in Dutch), between the artificial islands Neeltje Jans and Noordland. The barrier consists of massive sluice-gate-like doors that can be closed in case of high water levels. The doors are normally open to allow the daily tidal motions and maintain the Eastern Scheldt ecosystem.0070_DSC_0247Wider view of the Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier, now also including the northernmost part between Noordland and Schouwen-Duiveland.OosterscheldekeringThe Oosterscheldekering (Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier) is the largest of the thirteen dams and barriers that make up the Delta Works, protecting the Netherlands from flooding from the North Sea. The kering is 9 km (5.6 mi) long and was completed in 1986. The Delta Works as a whole were designed in response to the 1953 North Sea flood. De Oosterscheldekering is de langste van de dertien Deltawerken die Nederland tegen overstromingen vanuit de Noordzee beschermen. De kering is 9 km lang en is voltooid in 1986. De Deltawerken als geheel ontstonden als antwoord op de Watersnoodramp van 1953.0090_DSC_0250Close-up of the first three doors. The entire barrier was closed for testing when we arrived, as can for example be seen by how far the pneumatic cylinders extend downwards. Normally, the shiny metallic part would be up in the white housing.0100_DSC_0252The control room for the Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier on Neeltje Jans.0110_DSC_0260The windy conditions along the Dutch coastline make for an excellent location to generate electricity.0120_DSC_0261The mouth of the Eastern Scheldt is about 9 km wide. The storm surge barrier consists of three series of doors, together extending for 4 km. The remaining 5 km are covered by the two artificial islands Neeltje Jans and Noordland.0130_DSC_0274The northernmost part of the barrier. Note that the support structures at the centre are taller than at the edges, reflecting the curvature of the sea floor.0140_DSC_0275The east side (away from the North Sea) of the barrier.0150_DSC_0278Schematic of the Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier. The land masses at the bottom (south) and top are Noord-Beveland and Schouwen-Duiveland. The barrier consists of three series of doors (brown) and two artificial islands (green). Most of the construction work was done from the larger of these two.0160_DSC_0281View along the barrier from a walkway about five metres above normal sea level.0170_DSC_0283Close-up of one of the support pillars. The doors are move up and down with the pneumatic cylinders. Normally, none of the shiny part of the cylinder would be visible.0180_DSC_0284Close-up of the metal support structure at the top of the door.0190_DSC_0286The Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier was opened on October 4, 1986 by Queen Beatrix in the presence of VIPs from Belgium, Luxembourg, France, England, Germany, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Austria.0200_DSC_0288Two roads run across the barrier: a two-lane highway and a smaller service road. The latter is also used by cyclists.0210_PICT6527Our dinner/boardgame table (picture by Rolf).0220_PICT6529Dinner on day 5: Spanish paella (picture by Rolf).0230_DSC_0306Our bungalow.0240_DSC_0307The street outside our bungalow.0250_DSC_0309Rear view of our bungalow.0260_DSC_0312Terraces in the city of Middelburg, capital of the provence of Zeeland.0270_DSC_0313Middelburg's city hall.0280_DSC_0315Middelburg's city hall.0290_DSC_0317De Nieuwe Kerk (New Church) in Middelburg. The tower is nicknamed Lange Jan (Long John).0300_DSC_0318The former abbey of Middelburg.0310_DSC_0319The former abbey of Middelburg.0320_DSC_0321Lange Jan.0330_DSC_0322The Abbey Square in Middelburg.0340_DSC_0323The Abbey Square in Middelburg.0350_DSC_0324The former abbey of Middelburg.0360_DSC_0325The former abbey of Middelburg.0370_DSC_0326The former abbey of Middelburg.0380_DSC_0327The former abbey of Middelburg.0390_DSC_0329Entrance to the abbey.0400_DSC_0331The former abbey of Middelburg.0410_DSC_0334The Koorkerk (Choir Church) in Middelburg.0420_DSC_0335Organ in the Koorkerk.0430_DSC_0342We climbed the Lange Jan tower to get a view over the city. This picture shows the former abbey and the tree-filled square that it surrounds.0440_DSC_0343View across the former abbey and residential areas of Middelburg.0450_DSC_0344View across downtown Middelburg. The tall building in the centre is the city hall.0460_DSC_0346View across downtown Middelburg.0470_DSC_0347View across downtown Middelburg. The square just left of the centre is the Dam Square. All the way on the left, the dome of the eight-sided Oostkerk (East Church) is just visible.0480_DSC_0348The southern tip of the Eastern Scheldt storm surge barrier is located about 10 km north of Middelburg and is easily visible from the Lange Jan tower on a clear day.0490_DSC_0352Lange Jan.0500_DSC_0355The Spuistraat in Middelburg.0510_DSC_0357A 1720 house in Middelburg.0520_DSC_035819th-century houses in Middelburg. The trap doors give access to coal cellars.0530_DSC_0359An old pump in Middelburg.0540_DSC_0361A 1698 house in Middelburg.0550_DSC_0362The eight-sided Oostkerk (East Church) in Middelburg.0560_DSC_0363An 18th-century house near the Oostkerk.0570_DSC_0364Another old house near the Oostkerk.0580_DSC_0365Skulls and bones on one side of the Oostkerk.0590_DSC_0366An old warehouse in Middelburg.0600_DSC_0367The former moat surrounding Middelburg.0610_DSC_0369The Koepoort (Cow Gate), the only one out of the original eight gates into the city to survive.0620_DSC_0370The Koepoort.0630_DSC_0374An old house in Middelburg.0640_DSC_0375The Pijpstraat in Middelburg.0650_DSC_0376An old vinegar factory.0660_DSC_0377The main canal into Middelburg.0670_DSC_0354A café in Middelburg. They served a delicious home-made apple pie.0680_DSC_0379The café’s interior.0690_DSC_0380An old crane used for lifting goods from the quay into ships or vice versa.0700_DSC_0382A bridge over one of Middelburg's canals.0710_DSC_0385One of Middelburg's canals.0720_DSC_0386Four old warehouses in Middelburg.0730_DSC_0387A small marina in Middelburg.0740_DSC_0389A mansion from the colonial age.0750_DSC_0391Modern architecture in Middelburg.0760_DSC_0393A sailing ship in Middelburg's harbour.0770_DSC_0394The marina is located at the rear of the four warehouses from a few pictures back.0780_DSC_0396The marina.0790_DSC_0412Middelburg's city hall by night.